What are some Best Practices for running a competition with Orion?
Return to the Support Questions page.
The best way to help ensure a competition runs smoothly is to use Orion in day-to-day practices.
Before the Competition.
- Check that your version of Orion is up-to-date.
- Check that your license is up-to-date.
- Practice with Orion. Run a series of mock matches to make sure each step in the process runs smoothly (scanning, loading targets, scoring targets, printing results).
- Create the Orion match file in advanced, perhaps 2 to 3 weeks early.
- Enable cloud backup of your Match or Match and target image files.
- Add competitors, coaches, and teams as the entries come in.
- Use descriptive team names. For example "West Potomac High School" instead of "WPHS."
- Organize competitors to their respective relays.
- Keep the number of shooters per relay at a reasonable level. The number of shooters per relay depends on the user's skill level with Orion, scanner speed, and use of single or multiple bull targets.
- Pre-print barcode labels and apply the labels to the targets for each shooter.
During the Competition.
- Enable the Result Center to automatically post results online.
- Clean your scanner between each relay's set of targets. Use canned air to blow out any dirt or target debris.
- Print out scanable QR Codes so competitors and spectators know where to find the results online.
- Have at least one assistant available who can track down missing targets, find coaches to answer questions, post results, and so on.
- Resolve all green, yellow, red, or gray highlighted targets before printing results.
- After each relay, print individual score sheets for each shooter. Arrange the targets with the score sheets for collection by the shooters or coaches.
Going the Extra Mile.
- Write up an online match preview before the competition and a recap after the competition.
- Display scores on the range using a projector and Orion's online Scoreboard.
- Have target pullers available and ready to retrieve targets as soon as the last shot is fired and the range is safe.
- Have an awards ceremony as soon as possible after the last relay is complete.